What is it?
Simultaneous Interpreting is the interpreting mode in which the interpreter translates while the speaker is producing the speech, the same time with a delay of maximum a few seconds. The interpreters work from the interpreting booth, meanwhile the audience is provided with earphones to listen to the translation.
In simultaneous mode interpreters work in teams of at least 2 people for each language combination and they take turns every half an hour not to overload their brains.
Simultaneous Interpreting requires the interpreters to be well skilled and, most importantly, well trained. If you could be lucky and get out well from a business meeting interpreted by a non professional interpreter, you will never be able to have an acceptable output from the booth by a non professional interpreter.
When is simultaneous the best choice?
- Multilingual big international conferences;
- Conferences, seminars, workshops with very stict time schedule;
- Conferences, seminars, workshops with or company presentations with big audiences and many power point presentations;
- Press conferences;
- Conferences or lectures with long and complex reports, technical and sectorial conferences;
- Simultaneous Interpreting equipment: translation booth, earphones, microphones, earphones for the audience (if the meeting room has no booth, a mobile booth can be rent and set up for the meeting);
- Two professional interpreters for each language combination involved in the meeting. If, for istance, English, Italian and Chinese will be spoken during the meeting you will need 4 interpreters and 2 booths: 2 of them working Italian/English and other two working Chinese/English;
Strenghts of this mode
- Time saving: in planning the meeting schedule you don’t have to count translation time.
- Audience attention can be easily mantained: the audience listens to the translated speech in real time, so their attention will not decrease in waiting the translation.
- Everyone can follow the speech and the speaker does not have to interrupt his speaking flow, this can ensure the mantainance of the speech logics. Even in Q&A sessions interaction is much more direct and quick.
- The interpreter being in his own soundproof booth can be highly concentrated granting a high level output.
Weaknesses of this mode
- Simultaneous equipment rent might be quite high.